RCU Forums - View Single Post - Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

Just got home from another R/C warbird event. Which event is irrellevent, because MOST warbird events I go to lately have the same thing:
LOUD music blaring over a P.A. system while I am:
1) attempting to converse with fellow modelers in the pit area.
2) trying to hear those warbird engines while they are flying.
3) trying to hear the engine on MY plane while I am flying it.
4) trying to converse with the pilot who is standing 100 ft from me, so that I can tell him I am about to make a dead stick landing (because I couldn't hear mine sputtering).

Now I LOVE Rock and Roll Music: I even have an electric guitar that I bring with sometimes to jam with when the flying is done, but hearing Chuck Berry, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or ANY rock music (or C&W, Rap, you name it) during an event which is supposed to focus on history which pre-dates rock & roll (except: Viet Nam and following wars) doesn't even make any sense to me. If the CD simply MUST play music: how about music which was at least popular during the war years?

But actually, as I stated earlier: I am against playing practically ANY music (and most events play it LOUD), except for maybe the national anthem and/ or music related to the armed forces of the world, WHILE I or anyone else is flying thier warbirds, and ESPECIALLY when multiple planes are airborn and pilot to pilot communication becomes necessary for safety reasons.

But forget all that: Make up your OWN mind and VOTE: do you want to hear music playing over a P.A. at warbird events?
OR, should warbird events remian focused on the sights AND sounds of R/C warbirds (national anthems, armed forces, and SOME 'period' music would be O.K., IF not played continously and not too loud)

YEA vote means ' Keep on a Rocking and PLAY IT LOUD! I don't care if it was first recorded yesterday, if it Rocks, it NEEDS to be played and played LOUD, while historic warbirds are flying.

NAY vote means: I want to hear the airplanes, NOT Jimi Hendrix (unless of course: it is the national anthem). Occasional music which is from the warbird eras is OK IF played at reasonable volume.

Sunday Morning, Aug 30, added NEW option to above:
"MAYBE: IF music is subltle (background) AND appropriate for eras". In other words, quiet enough so spectaors and pilots alike can hear the engine, and speak in normal convernsations without having to yell, AND music should be appropriate to warbird eras and/ or specific aircraft. Again: that leaves Rock & Roll, Heavy Metal, Modern C&W, etc OUT, UNLESS it is Viet Nam erea or later aircraft. Many of us love Rock & Roll, but would prefer to hear Glenn Miller at a warbird event

Prior to adding option 3, vote was:
1. YEA: Keep on a Rockin'' and play it LOUD! (10)
2. NAY: Turn OFF the Music so I can hear the Warbirds (102)

It should be understood that perhaps many of the voters who elected "NAY" WOULD have voted for "MAYBE", had that option been available from the beginning.

Please feel free to add your own comments as well (by adding a post).

Whatever the results: CDs, PLEASE pay ATTENTION!