RCU Forums - View Single Post - Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Music at R/C Warbird Events: YEA or NAY? Please VOTE!

ORIGINAL: Ed
Only one thing worse then loud music at events, and that's '' DEMO'S '', of any kind.
Dont they realize that we came there to fly ? [>:]
Ed
I'm with ya on that one, Ed. I've even heard of one 'warbird event' that has an Extra 300/ 3D demo about midway thru the event. Come on, if ya got to give some people special treatment (by allowing them to perform a demo), at LEAST make it be related to the rest of the event.

ORIGINAL: jmohn
..................... If it's a warbird show open to the public, then an anouncer talking about the plane flying is great so people know what they are looking at. If there's some arobatic stuff going on then I am fine with music to make the flight more exciting. It it's just random music, then no.
Jeff
As far as the public goes: while I welcome spectators and like to see them at events, I think some clubs place too much emphasis on pleasing them, rather than the pilots who may have traveled greater distances to attend, and who have the large investments (time and money) which MAKE the events.
Announcers are not part of the question/ poll. I don't consider them to be music, and I am therefor in no way discouraging them. In fact, I agree: it is nice to have a knowledgable person to discuss and explain the warbirds to the public, as well as other pilots.

ORIGINAL: dasintex
I voted 'NO' I go to hear the Planes and Talk to fellow modelers; I too love Music, but not at our RC events; and all too often the Music is played way TOO loud and over crappy speakers, and lets not forget about the feedback that goes with it, when the announcer trys to say something; if I wanted to listen to Music I'll go to a Concert; or better yet after a long day of flying go to a Bar and knock back a few cold ones and listen to the music then.
"Knock back a few cold ones and listen to the music then": that's what I'M talkin' about.

ORIGINAL: jmohn
I think you have to compare what they do at ''real'' air shows these days.
At Reno last year the Air Force demo team (Thunderbirds) called out manuvers and had some good music during the show. I think this is very appropriate to and RC show if done correctly. Other than that they didn't have any music, but did anounce what was coming up next and gave updates on race leaders and stuff. I think the F22 also had some music playing during it's demo, but I couldn't hear anything since it was so loud
It sure would take away from the atmosphere of the show if music was playing during the fly-byes of the planes. It's so great to heard those motors going bye.
Jeff
I disagree: we DON'T have to compare how R/C warbird shows are organized to how the full scale warbird shows are. For one thing, most of them do the same thing I am campaigning against: playing loud music (and most times, not even 'period' music) while Pratt and Whitneys, Merlins, etc. are what I am desperately trying to hear. Actually, THAT is what I call music (the classic engines), and THAT is what I want to hear.

So what I'm saying: just because they play loud music at full scale shows, doesn't mean we have to do it at R/C warbird shows. But I do agree with those that think it acceptable IF the music is related to what is currently flying (time period wise), and IF not played too loud. What I am campaigning against is music which is NOT related to the warbirds, and which is played so loud that you have to yell if you are trying to converse with someone 10 feet away from you. And that is exactly what I am hearing at more and more 'warbird' events.

And I'll add a little more: in most cases, the speakers are located far from the person who is 'spinning the vinyl', and pointed away from him. They don't even realize how loud it is to everybody else.