RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Chipmunk "conversion"
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Chipmunk "conversion"

Just thought that I would share something a bit more positive than pictures of chinese engines that don't work...

I've had this ARF for quite sometime and is looks like it will soon be finished. I like the way the super chipmunk looks and got the ARF made by Goldberg, as it has a better looking engine cowl than the other ones do. Not much to report about the assembly. I've strengthen the front and mid part of the fuselage using triangular pine and epoxy. This added about 0.5 oz I think but made things a little stronger. A Hayes 061 mount was modified to take the 074 and to have a lower weight. Thunder tiger 2.5 oz tank fits well and are fairly lightweight too.

All up weight now seems to end up around 19oz (with a 750mA battery, landing gear and a pilot, so there is some room to lower it further). It is listed as 22 oz on electrics and with the Norvel 074 it should be fine, I think/hope...

The engine and muffler will fit inside the cowl (without the spring starter), but I'll run it without the cowl first to see how it likes to run inverted. The all important decals need to get on there too.

Here is some data:
Super Chipmunk 400 (by Carl Goldberg)
Wingspan: 38"
Length: 28 1/2"
Wing area: 230 square inches
Weight: 22oz (3S lipo, 400 engine) 19oz with Norvel 074

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59304.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1264631