RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Chipmunk "conversion"
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Super Chipmunk

Summer has been good here, a bit windy but that's just good practice. My regular field is very flat with only tall grass and bushes so one can just play around and come in from almost any direction (not over the pit of coarse). I visited a friend of mine and their field was a bit different though, quite narrow with several of trees. Almost lost my most trusted plane there (shown in my avatar, can't remember what is was called...). I went inverted downwind and out of site behind a few trees. I just kept full elevator until it came out on the other side with a nice climbing angle and got a loud "wow" from one of the younger pilots...

Tomasina, don't worry this is not my first plane and I'm planning to put a hatch in front (rather than a solid fire wall) and fuel proofing of coarse.

The only thing that worries me a little is the inverted engine, I'm not a great fan of those either. All the oil tends to end up at the head. This is what stopped me last winter from finishing it. A horizontal mounting would have been better for the engine but that would not clear the cowl. I'm might get some well needed practice on my inverted flying though...