RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Koverall
Thread: Sig Koverall
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Koverall

I have not used dress lining myself although I have read accounts of others that have been successful. Heat shrink polyester is the important part. Years ago the full scale folks used cotton, but I would not suggest that. Here is what I do with the ModPodge available from Craft Stores such as Michael's. When the model is completed and sanded ready to cover;

1) Coat entire framework with ModPodge using a foam brush.
2) Light sanding using at least 400 or finer.
3) Second coat of ModPodge if needed, most of the time mine do not need this step.
4) Cut fabric with at least 2" overlap. I cover one side at a time. Wing=bottom, Fuse=side or half if it is round and so on.
5) Lay fabric on surface and brush through thinned ModPodge with a foam brush. MP thinned to a consistancy that will allow it to penitrated the fabric but not puddle under it. I use tap water.
6) After this drys I use a Monocoat iron on low temp settings to work any spots on the fabric that did not adhere. Sometimes I add more MP and then let it start to set up and then use the iron. Clean iron with Denatured Alcohol.
7) Another coat of thinned MP and iron down the edges. Trim with a hot or sharp knife and smooth down edge with iron.
8) Cover other side and overlap fabric about 1", repeating above steps.
9) Shrink fabric.
10) Fill weave of fabric with thinned MP being careful that it does not puddle underneath. Takes about three coats.
11) Light sanding with 800-1000 grit and your ready for paint. NO STINK!!!!!!
Be careful these are water based products and can induce a warp in light or weaker structures. You may have to weight some of the ligher structures down to prevent this although I have not had to. Love this process and did I mention no stink and no toxic fumes!
Let us know your thoughts if you decide to try this.