RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is my 9CAP going to be a dinosaur?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is my 9CAP going to be a dinosaur?

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
I recall when the first 2.4's hit themarket in BIG numbers (2007 Jan) the Spektrum DX7 sold like wildfire and th crepehangers and naysayers wisely insisted that the transfer of the good ol 72 to the horribly risky 2.4 would take years
It did
Two
How did you come to that conclusion? Out of about 40 members in our club, less than 10 have 2.4 ghz radios. There may be less new product, but I do not believe the masses have deserted 72 mhz.

ORIGINAL: Campgems
They haven't pulled the plug on the old citizens bands yet, you can still buy and use them if you have the nerve. The 2.4 band will most likely fill up prior to the 72 going down. Even my hearing aids work in 2.4 now. At some point the cross talk and noise is going to start causing problems. Most all of the PC wireless is on 2.4. Wireless phones, 2.4. Sooner or later, the low cost techonoloyy 2.4 is going to fill up. Probably sooner. I was talking to a guy who serviced the microwave towers near our field. His comment was that he wouldn't fly 2.4 because it is one of the most crouded bands and that 72 was much cleaner. If it was just RC on 2.4, it probably wouldn't be a problem. But with everything under the sun using 2.4, event at low wattage outputs, there is a ton of noise out there. I'll fly it until the problems really start to surface. But they will sooner than later. Maybe by then, they will have a new band for us.
Don
Unfortunately, RC is a very tiny market compared to all of the other wireless stuff. Once the dedicated 72 mhz channels are gone, RC will probably have to share bands like 900 mhz, 2.4 ghz, 5.8 ghz, etc with al of the other users.