RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anything i should know/be aware of before buying Savage XL?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anything i should know/be aware of before buying Savage XL?

Yes you will need to tune the engine for day to day conditions and this goes with ANY nitro engine.
If you want it to last anyways...
I know guys that get a good tune on their engines and pretty much leave it alone and their engines don't seem to last very long.
This is a small engine and any change in temps outside will affect the fuel air mixture so you need to make adjustments.
If you don't plan on working on your RC I think you might want to think about a different hobby.
Even electric RC's break occasionally and require some maintenence.

Here's some more info for you, I know it's overwhelming but if you put forth an effort to learn the hobby it is very rewarding.

Hotter air is not as dense as colder air is.
The colder and denser the air is, the more oxygen molecules can fit in the engine meaning that you need to mix more fuel in (richen) with the extra oxygen in colder outside temps.

When it gets hot out the air molecules expand and not as much oxygen can fit in the engine in the given amount of air.
So you need to keep the correct fuel/air (oxygen) mixture by taking some fuel away - thus needing to lean out the carb in warmer outside temps.

This is all given that you are tuning at the same altitude all the time.
You could have your carb set perfect @ 80F and change elevation 1000 feet up @ 80F and need to lean it out because there is less oxygen at high altitude.

Hope that made sense.

To get it tuned, First get the engine fully warmed up!
Never tune a cold engine.
Start from factory settings on all needles. (Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 in on the HSN from factory.)

Be sure to set the idle gap as well as needles to factory settings before retuning from scratch.

Get your HSN set first.
Keep leaning the HSN 1/8 turn in at a time and watch the performance increase.
Making a couple top speed passes each time to let the engine get used to the new setting.
When you see a decrease in performance turn the HSN back out 1/8 to 1/4 turn to richen it back into the safe zone. Keep an eye on temps as well.
Good top speed and good trail of smoke at all speeds is what you want.

Then set the LSN.
You can do the pinch or punch test, or both.

PUNCH TEST-
Once you have the HSN set, engine warmed up.
Make a couple top speed passes and bring it in and let idle for 10- 15 seconds.
Then give it 3/4 to full throttle.
If is slow to take off and smokes alot you are too rich and need to start leaning the LSN.
If it takes off fast, rev's and dies, etc... it is too lean and you need to richen the LSN.

If it smokes and is slow taking off, start turning the LSN in 1/12 to 1/8 turn and again make a few passes to get it used to the new setting in between adjustments.

PINCH TEST-
Make a couple top speed passes, bring it in and pinch off the fuel line near the carb.
Start counting 1...2...3...
It should run for about 3 seconds before it revs and dies.
If it runs longer you need to lean the LSN.
If less than 3 seconds you need to richen the LSN.

Once you have good acceleration and still have smoke at all speeds you are done.
You may need to reset the idle on the carb once you are done tuning.

Weather always plays into your tuning and you will need to adjust the HSN for day to day conditions.
I.E.- colder weather requires more rich settings and vice versa.

I am just a basher and no expert so use this info at your own risk!

SLAYER