Thread: Stuka canopy
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stuka canopy

ORIGINAL: funkymeter2003

LA7, I woulds be grateful for that. I am also interested in the process that you are doing. I figured there was probably a way but could not figure out how to go about it. Anyway, thank you and if you would explain your process I would really find it interesting. Take care, Jim
No problem. I will try to take a couple of pics to help you visualize the process but basically, I start with some balsa formers which define the overall shape. I join them using three 1/4 inch square balsa sticks which defines the overall length. Once I am content and make sure it will fit the fuselage, I fill in the area between the balsa formers with florists foam which sands extremely easily. Once I have the overall look, I glass with a couple of layers of 2 oz cloth and epoxy resin. After that dries, I smear the whole thing with "mud" which is nothing but wallboard mud. It sands easily and most will be sanded off anyway. A final coat of epoxy, a few coats of sandable primer with sanding in between and once I have a glass smooth finish, I will pull the canopy with my vacuform machine. I am debating whether I want to add all the framing to the plug or leave it plain...the plane is not really even stand-off scale accurate so I don't see much sense it really detailing the canopy but we'll see...I'll try to post a pic or two today (once I am done with the "honey-do's")