RCU Forums - View Single Post - Raising stall speed?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Raising stall speed?

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Ok, this is going to sound a little odd. I am a flight instructor with our local club. It seems almost everyone is learning to land right now. I have one student and his father (who are both learning together) that have a Nextstar trainer. Now the problem is, this particular plane of theirs, has to be very slow, I mean really, really slow, before it stalls. I would like to raise the stall speed slightly so it opens up the stall envelope a little. This is mainly an issue when perfectly calm.
My idea is to raise both ailerons slightly. Maybe 1/8'' to see if this will have an effect at reducing lift. Another idea maybe to add positive incidence to the wing. The latter would be more difficult. Honestly I am just throwing this out and have not pondered it much (I am being a little lazy).
I have been flying for 25 years and am involved in many types of flying from pylon to scale. This airplane is very hard to get slow enough to stall. I look forward to ideas on this.
If you remove the flaps and wing droops at the tips, the model will fly faster and have a higher stall speed. If you like those accessories, you can raise the stall speed of any model by adding weight, however, a very slow landing speed is not a detriment, in my opinion. Raising the ailerons slightly may help a bit.

We're not sure what you mean when you mention that raising the stall speed will "open up the stall envelope".