RCU Forums - View Single Post - EDF on 72mhz
Thread: EDF on 72mhz
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EDF on 72mhz

I have a Phase 3 EF-16 EDF jet that is driving me nuts.

I assembled it using the stock motor and ESC with a pair of Hitec HS65 servos on the elevons. TX is a Futaba 10C on 72Mhz with a Polk Seeker 6 RX. Everything works great on the bench, but fails range check with the motor running (OK with motor off), regardless of throttle setting. The RX antenna passes within a couple inches of the fan, so I pulled it loose and let it hang from the nose no joy. Disconnecting the servos (one at a time or both) gives the same result. I swapped-out the RX for known-good unit to no effect. Thinking the Chinese ESC might be the culprit, I swapped it for a Castle Phoenix 35 same result. The only device not eliminated from the system or swapped-out is the fan motor seems an unlikely cause. A quick test with borrowed equipment shows that the electronics range check fine on 2.4, but I've resisted converting so far due the the cost of the 2.4 module and equipping the fleet with new RX's.

There must be others out there with "old fashioned" equipment flying EDF. Anyone have suggestions of what I can do to make this work on 72?

Thanks,
Ken