RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Interesting that Tom used a pressurized 2-tank system. I would think that with today's wisdom, a pump or the use of header tank with muffler pressure would achieve the same results as Tom's setup. Or to simplify things, just use a normal tank setup behind the firewall. Only question with that would be what affect that would have on the CG.

As far as the fuselage plans go, it's kinda hard to make out some of the ''stuff'' out in the pics. It sure is a lot of fun though looking through them and trying to ''think build'' what Tom had accomplished.

FB
I agree that the C/G would probably suffer by moving the tank. The more I fly SPA, the more I like the idea of the fuel tank over the C/G so you don't have to make corrections during the flight.

The highly swept wing means the C/G is "way back there", so putting that much weight toward the front would be a problem. Tom used a ST .56, (a relatively light engine). I'd probably put a .60 or .72 FSboth of which are heavier, and would require weight shifted toward the rear. I think a modern pump system of some sort would be the best solution.

The actual plans ARE somewhat easier to read than these photos, but at least it gives you "fans" out there a feeling for what the plans look like.

I'm more used to using a radial mount such as the Dave Brown for mounting the engine. Traditional "rail" motor mounts were used in all planes of the period, but I think it makes it harder to build, and get the thrust setting correct. You can see the firewall isn't very sturdy by itself to support the engine, so either the firewall set-up would need to be modified, or we'd need to build with the rails according to plans.

Preview-Cirrus and Nimbus III plans are on route from Michigan. These previously unknown designs, (at least to me) will be covered next. Unfortunately, Helen says there are no vintage pictures of Nimbus III. This was a time when Tom was winding down his R/C flying activities, and taking pictures of Nimbus III probably wasn't a priority. She is still looking though. Perhaps some day I'll be allowed to re-assemble Nimbus III to do its own photo shoot.

Tom's daughter Sheryl has agreed to provide her own take on her Dad's hobby which I am looking forward to.

Duane

We have other "goodies" coming as well...in the form of bio material on Tom, and photos from Helen's collection