RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP C-160 Transall Electric Conversion
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
whatala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP C-160 Transall Electric Conversion

ORIGINAL: adrenaline1

To everyone who is looking for a successful electric conversion for the CMP Transal C-160 I am attaching the following data. Please feel free to contact me with questions

The following photos show the process I took to build my C-160 Transal with electric power. I was very happy with the results and the aircraft always gets great comments wherever I fly it. The sound of both engines in sync is sweet.

Here is the parts list

(2) Engines = AXI 2820/10 Gold Line part # 282010

(2) Motor Mounts = ACC3640 Motor Mount for 35mm Outrunner Order from www.maxxprod.com listed under Electric Plane Accessories page 4 of 4

(8) 6-32 x 1 ½” socket head screws to mount engine mounts to their bulk heads

(8) 6-32 Blind Nuts

(2) ESC = Castle Creations Phoenix-60 Brushless ESC

(2) Batteries E-flite 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 20C LiPo, 13AWG EC3 part # EFLB32003S

(2) APC Electric Propeller 10 x 5e

(1) 6” x 6” x ½” plywood for motor mount extensions

(1) 2” Diameter Hole Saw. Used to cut the motor mount extensions from the plywood. Note: The black wire tie around the wooden spacers simply holds the engine wires in place.

(1) Small bottle of “Gorilla Glue” used to glue the 2 round plywood pieces together and glue that to the bulkhead. Only use a small amount of glue because it expands as it dries.

(10) Small Rare earth magnets. Radio Shack carries them. They are used to hold the 2 lower engine cowlings in place

(4) 1’ diameter metal flat washers. Used with rare earth magnets.

(1) piece of ½ “ x 1” long sheet metal. Used to form the forward magnet base.

(1) roll 1” mounting tape. Used to hold the magnets.

One additional note; I suggest you re-glue and/or reinforce the forward bulkhead that the nose gear attaches to. The 1 in my kit was not glued properly and collapsed on my first landing.

I hope the attached photos will be worth a thousand words.

Good luck with your project. It is definitely worth the effort.

PS: I am new to this and just found out my 11 photo files are too large for 1 upload. I am going to send the first 6 with this and then the last 5 in a follow up reply. I hope you get all 11.
Hi adrenaline1
Are these pictures the same C-160 from nitroplanes for sale 134.99, it is CMPPro C-160 EP-Powered Twin-Engine RC Scale Plane Almost-Ready-to-Fly?
Here is the link:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/c-160-rc-plane.html

I just ordered this plane yesterday.
I may need help alot from you since there is no instruction how to build this bird.
Thanks
Jason