RCU Forums - View Single Post - Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

The Sprint is my first turbine jet. I have a Comp-Arf Spark and some other smaller e-jets too. Mostly I fly IMAC and some Scale but decided to try turbine this year after going to a couple fo jet meets with my Spark.

Mine is 18.6lbs with a PST 600R, air trap tank full and 10oz of nose weight. I am using the Beotech heavy C36/2 gear from Altecare (this is simply AWESOME gear - just fantastic.) Unfortunately I bought the PST used and the front bearing siezed after only 4 1/2 flights. Live and learn I guess The TEMS said the trubine only had 7:15 on it. The jet started losing power immediately in the air (thank goodness for the big wing area - I was able to keep it flying!!!) and I made few slow circuits to burn some fuel and nice safe landing. The front bearing was siezed once it cooled down.

This jet flies great. The recommended CG is quite too far forward for my liking when inverted on 45 or level... but great for learning I guess. I needed a -25 flap to airbrake mix for landings and 3/16" of elevator down trim for level flight. I am not using crow. It lands very easy and VERY slow with about 55 deg of flap. Takeoff is good even from grass and it only takes 200ft or so with 25 deg takeoff flap (when the turbine is working right that is.)

I don't know if my PST was ever working right but for the first 3 flights I think it was. It was certainly hitting full RPM's. The 14.5 lbs thrust is no where near enough power to have fun. You can fly around but it will barely loop and can't hold a 45 line for long for nice cubans etc. Rolls are quite axial with the recommended differential. I never felt I had enough power for KE, rollers or any of the fun stuff I hope to do with this jet. I can tell it will do them all once I have an engine in there with some power that I can trust so thats a good thing My wide open straight line speed is not fast at all... maybe 100mph? Certainly way, way, way slower than my Comp-Arf Spark which will do 170mph. I didn't get this jet for speed - its for a fun do-it-all jet with a wide speed envelope that I can fly from grass. But I want tons of vertical power so I am going to get a much bigger turbine to replace the PST.

I plan to try and get some relief on the used engine I got... worst case I get it repaired and keep it as a backup for when the main engine is getting serviced. I hope to order a new engine and get it expressed to me on Monday so I can fly the Sprint again ASAP.

This is a very smooth nice flying, super stable jet. I think the P80SE is probably the best choice of turbine thrust-wise - but I am looking at the Behotec J66 and WREN SS also... or maybe a G-booster 90. The WREN is quite light for the thrust it makes... I'd like to add as little weight as possible.

Can anyone recommend any other good turbines that are light and in the 20 - 22lb range. Good service is also a must... (Jetcat wins there again, but I hear Behotec have great service also.)