RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread
Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
mray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

Hi thanks for the reply via pm and here on the thread. Let me clarify a few things...

ORIGINAL: sundogz

and my reply...

Hi mray, I'm glad to hear that you will be making these boats available (though not too thrilled at the price) as they are as scarce as hens teeth here in the good ol' U.S. But your ad implies that you can put the supplied BL motor and esc in it and have a RTR boat, which ain't so.
No that is an incorrect statement. What the ad should convey is that we are supplying a brushless motor and ESC with the basic kit. It does say this will have to be installed by the owner ( I have also edited this ad). But since you are bringing this up, let me just say that I am not interested in offering a turn key REVISED version of this boat with all the mods installed, including a new two channel radio. I am not interested in doing it for two reasons, the first is based on your statement about cost. Second is, for me to do that work, the customer would have to pay for the time for me to do it and I am not interested in getting into that. What I am interested in is attempting to help with is a single place to get most-if not all the items and boat for an individual to do their own mods. I realize some of the key pieces to make the transition from the stock config to a well performing brushless unit are missing from our ad. Some of these items may be added later-however lipo's and two channel radios are really easy to get.

You would also need to acquire a proportional 2 channel transmitter and receiver - because the electronics that come with the NQD are a proprietary (cheaply made) non-proportional system, and not compatible with the speed control or the brushless motors you supply. And you would need a (steering) servo for the same reasons.
I am aware of that. Though because of cost, I decided not to include these as most can find a good two channel unit of their own elsewhere or they may already have enough extra radio accessories to do it themselves. Though, I can certainly throw a unit together and bundle it.
You might consider changing your ad to prevent confusion. And consider that after spending the $189 for the boat, motor and esc (and ‘acquiring’ another radio system and steering servo) one would have quite a lot of $ invested in a (hacked) toy that only runs for a short time on the stock nicad battery - without investing more $ in a (comparatively pricey) lipo (or similar) battery and charger, etc.
Again, I think you might be missing my point here which certainly means that our product Ad isn't doing it's job. Most people are already doing this as indicated here on the forum and spending a fair amount to mod these boats. Folks can purchase their own LiPo's where they want-some like certain brands, it appears to be a moving target on which size of Lipo to go with, so to make it easier, I will leave this up to the individual-at least for now.

I see that you joined RCU in '04 and have had limited participation in the forums. There is a wealth of information in the ”All things Jet Drive” section about that knockoff boat (and some limited info in the ''Tear Into'' forum as well) that will help you in your future conversion. Feel free to ask questions, there are plenty of experienced enthusiasts more than willing to assist. Sdg
Thanks.