RCU Forums - View Single Post - Paint jobs help and advice
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint jobs help and advice

ORIGINAL: Hijikata

Ok, my head is spinning with everything I have read in this thread, gel coats, spray guns, air brush kits, paints and enamels....

Right now I have a just bought my first RC Boat, a Traxxas Blast. I was going to put the stickers and all that jazz on it, but I decided not to because even though the boat looks fundamentally looks gorgeous (at least I think it does) adding all the stickers on it still makes it look plain because it's still just a white boat... So I thought it would be cool to paint it, but I have no idea where to start other than having a general idea of what color I want

I would like for it to be a blue with a metal flake in it, I have not decided what shade of blue I want though :P Here are the two ''shades'' that I have narrowed it down to:

and

I also always liked the black metal flake like you see here:

So with that being said/seen, where should I start? What do I need to buy? Do I need gelcoats or primers? What kind of paint do I need for this boat?

Thanks for all the help
On the black 09 challanger isnt black metalic,,its strait black.....There is a black pearl paint....The blue is metalflake...that can be costly to do..first you spray a blue base then get a metal flake that closely match it..then put the metalflake in to the clear with two marbles in it and spay about two coats of that.the marbles or ball bearings help keep the metalic agutated/mixed up in your gun cup.Caution,make sure you put a ground wire to ground out the hull so stadic electricly doesnt build on that hull or the metalflake will stand up on you.Then dump that out of your gun,then just spray the clear about three to four coats...The flake can cost up to 45.00 for 6-8 oz of it...To find a cheaper and easyer route..I would look at some of the new car colors and you might find that blue or another color you want..try to go with a two stage paint and not three stage paints..that with metalflakes are..if you want I can find that blue for you..I do autobody&paint for aliving.