RCU Forums - View Single Post - BeechCraft D18
Thread: BeechCraft D18
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Brad Fuller
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BeechCraft D18

Oddly enough, my first D-18 had diesels on it. Converted glow engines with a big name conversion kit. I won't say the name because I get bent just thinking of the time and money I wasted , not to mention his insulting attitude when you call him for advise. Any way, after several flights with one or the other engine quiting, and finally when BOTH quit on final, I installed US 41s, and they ran great. Then I had G-38s in both a D-18 and the C-47s. I will probably build another D-18 after I get my Navajo project done, it was fun to do aerobatics with it, the C-47s will roll, but it looks silly. Don't worry too much about adding weight and shifting /lightening, it is very important to have solid rudder and elevator control, don't compromise with long rods. the plane flies great even with 8 lbs of lead in the nose, I think you'd really have to screw it up to make it over weight. Mine had an operable door and an interior, so that might have been a factor on the nose weight. The other fella is right about the flaps, put a lot of thought into how you are going to make them work. My 18 was one piece fuse and center section, and one piece flaps.