RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hiperbipe
Thread: Hiperbipe
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 AM
y2k6vette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hiperbipe

Sounds like you've got some good birds to fly for sure. Perhaps the black and red 30's racer, gull-wing monoplane you refer to is the Hall Bulldog. A couple of guys have posted some pix of it here on RCU, but the truly definitive version of this absolutely beautiful plane is on the Scale Modeler site and was built by a chap in England. It's huge! The thread is worth tracking down.

Your concern about my "playing with the big boys" is appreciated, but I'm afraid it comes 25 years too late. In 1984 I attended my first QSAA in Las Vegas and was captured by the big gassers; and ever since then that's been my true love. All of my planes are large gassers, but after finishing the last one, a 37.5% Yak with a ZDZ160super, 121" w.s. and 40#. I'm being forced to accept the fact tham I'm getting older. It's becoming more difficult each year to transport them, so I've decided to downsize to the 50cc-80cc size.

The DLE111 I mentioned is not really all that much bigger than the 80's and 95's I have already (and am still able to carry around), so I figure I'll just make the wings two piece and store the finished plane close to my Suburban. It's difficult not to fall into the "bigger is better" mentality and want to make them bigger, but I've got to keep them manageable. The Cobra I'm building is just 76" w.s. and I keep thinking there's something missing, but it should turn out to be just right for size I think.

The plans for the Hyperbipe haven't arrived yet, so I haven't yet made up my mind as to the final size of the plane. I will definitely enlarge the tail feathers to enhance the performance, but I'll try to keep it reasonable. The overall appearance of this plane appeals to me so I'll keep it original as possible.

Good luck with your build,
Steve