RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wing spoilers vs. ailerons??P-61 Black Widow had spoilers....
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wing spoilers vs. ailerons??P-61 Black Widow had spoilers....

ORIGINAL: larrysogla

I read an article that claimed the P-61 Black Widow could turn as tight as the tightest turning U.S. fighter in WW II (even though with the twin engines and massive bulk it is the heaviest and biggest U.S. fighter manufactured in WW II)........the article attributed this to the spoilers in the wings.............So my question is why are we still using ailerons and not spoilers since the ailerons have a opposite yawing effect to the direction of the bank creating aileron INEFFIciency.........while the spoilers have a yawing effect that is in the same direction as the bank adding to spoiler EFFIciency. Also, the spoilers help to rotate the aircraft in the direction of the turn making the turn tighter and quicker.................so it seems that the spoilers are more efficient. How come the propeller driven aircraft manufacturers(Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, Lockheed Hercules, etc.) continue to use ailerons instead of spoilers?????? Why????
Thanks for your valuable reply.
larrysogla
larrysogla, gents

It really would be nice to hear from someone with a model that has regular old spoilers for roll control.

When you make a short turn there is nothing to "spoil", and especially not with the high wing!!!

I do fly the Orion of Ed Kazmirski (USA), First world champion aerobatic pattern flying 1960.
Look what he did use to win!!!.Picture 1, red square on the left side.
Picture 2 a picture of my Orion, does have some damage now so I have the possibility to show how I did make them.
My Orion is "experimental", these ailerons, Ed did use, we call "frise ailerons" there are several different examples on a lot of airplanes, only it isn't known I think.
My plane has a span of 70 ", weight is 10 pounds with an ENYA 60 4C engine and has a pneumatic retractable main gear.
The ailerons are an invention of Leslie George Frise of GB you can find a lot about this inventor on Internet..

I am changing the Orion now to accept normal airlerons to compare. The "frises" are an solution for yaw control in normal flight but not inverted.

I also do fly Horten gliders and on these planes I use drag rudders, I think we can call these reeal "spolers", they spoil energy and always one of the two is deflected, only on the low wing.
The deflection I calculate with a special controller in my transmitter.
This drag you need for flying wings sometimes is generated with split rudders (USA).

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55157.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1290834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63122.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1290835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36387.jpg
Views:	174