RCU Forums - View Single Post - ASM F-7F Tigercat
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM F-7F Tigercat

Couple of things I would like to point out from experience building the ASM P-61 kit. This kit and retracts look very similar to the P-61 setup. First, don't trust the screws into the wing tube to hold..... they will strip out after a while and you don't want to risk your wing falling off in flight. Some fellas had the screws strip out on first flight. I like may others, cut some pieces of wooden dowel and glued them into the aluminum wing tubes for the screw to have something to bite into. I also put a piece of tape over the screw when I'm flying just in case so it doesn't fall out even if it does come loose.
Second, with regards the retracts, I found the mechanism to be very sturdy. It has held up to quite a few less than perfect landings. The one weak point though is in the struts. There is a small metal pieces more like a dab of welded "gob" of metal underneath the top scissor joint that is prone to breaking right at the weld. This weld is what keeps the scissors from separateing too far. Not sure what can be done about that though. Myself and a few others have had the struts replaced by the retailer after experienceing this failure. There is a lengthy thread on the P-61 in twins forum. You may find some of the info in there useful.

Good Luck.