RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Cat project
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 AM
damfurst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Cat project

Well it has been awhile since I posted anything on this boat. Sometime this summer I went to run it and the receiver screwed up. I lost control of it and the boat took off wot across the pond. It landed in on the edge of the pond in a tree that sitting out in the water. Hung up on a branch there you could hear one motor running wo. The other one wasn't turning though I didn't know it at the time. It took a little bit of doing to get to the spot since I had to wade through the cattails and such. I eventually was able to retrieve the boat, but by that time the motor was barely running. Damage, one motor fried, esc fried, battery was alright since it was 9.9v life. So I pondered for awhile what to do since the stock motors were shot now. I didn't want to go brushless but I didn't want to spend alot on it either. After some experimenting I decided to put 2X MIG 400 12v motors in it. I also stuck a 50amp chinese waterproof esc. I had to do some fitting since the new motors were longer than the stock ones. Also had to drill one side of the couplers and put set screws in it since it wouldn't hold very well. These motors do very well. They barely get warm after running 15 min. They really do work the best on 11.1v lipo. I'd like to to go up a size on the props which I think are 30 mm now. Does anyone know where I could get a lh and rh 31-33mm props? The drive shafts are 3mm.
This boat drives well now. On the 11.1v 30c battery it barely porpoises at all now and can make sharp turns with no prob. The water cooling for the motors is also working well now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74993.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1300355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49731.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1300356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41881.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.6 KB