RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

ORIGINAL: Andrew

Erik

If you metered the voltage between the 5v rail and the 12v, it would read ~7v. The reason you can get 17v with -5v and +12 is because DC voltages are measured both by voltage differential and by which pole is considered to be ''more positive''. For negative voltages, DC ground could be thought of as being ''more positive'' and the voltage differential between -5v and ground is 5 volts. The diffenential between ground and +12v is 12 volts, consequently the diffential between -5v and +12v will be ~17. If you drew out a number line and marked places for -5, 0, +5 and +12, then counted the units between each, the units between +5 and +12 is 7. The +12 is thought of as being ''more positive'' than +5 since it is further from the ground plane of 0 and when metered, you would use your negative probe on +5 and the positive probe on +12. It's a bit more complicated, but voltage is only the differential between two points, taking into account polarity.

My inclination would be to initially use all 4 resistors is series for a total of 4 ohms. Adding load (reducing the resistance) when not needed only adds heat and consumes power from the PSU. Many of the newer PSUs will latch without a load, but will have a more stable output voltage on the 12v rail with a load. Your choice of resistance should be the highest ohm rating possible for good performance. If it powers your charger satisfactorily with 4 ohms, there is no gain in going any lower.

Keep us posted on how your conversion works out.

andrew

Andrew, thanks for the speedy reply. I follow your explanation of the differential between -5 and +12 yielding 17 volts. The isuue is there is no -5v wire (the white one) so I was just wondering if there was another way to accomplish the same thing. No matter, I'll just stick with the two 12 volt outputs, one tied to each 12 volt rail. Also, I'll follow your advice and wire the resistors in series for greater resistance.

Thanks again,

Erik