RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vortex SS
Thread: Vortex SS
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vortex SS

ORIGINAL: RedCat_Chris

Correct me if im wrong Tex but Heli's are pretty much full throttle the whole time during a flight and use the pitch of the rotor blades to control up and down and forward and backward flight which requires the fuel to have a lot more oil content then cars require.
In helis the motor is usually hooked up to an elec governor/rev limiter which keeps the motor in it's power band or gear ratios are calculated for for a target rotor speed and throttle is based on that. Not full throttle, but you're close enough.

We base a lot of our tuning by temp initially and then by flight characteristics after that to fine tune. I do the same thing with my cars. Tune by temp initially and then fine tune for performance keeping within a reasonable temp. Cars can overheat in just a few seconds so to me, a cooler motor is better.

My guess is the Redcat plug is a A3 plug, I just wasn't thinking that these smaller motors would require the colder plug. It seems in my case a #8 is required, 30% is a lot of fuel for that little motor.

I can run the at a steady 200F with the mixture screw flush with the sleeve and super performance.

Been a great experience so far and it's been over two years since I had a nitro car. Glad I pick up a Redcat.