RCU Forums - View Single Post - "FAI" fuel eh..?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RE:

Right, which if so means that every single fuel manufacturer that labels fuel "FAI" where it is not, is guilty as sin of misleading the public.

Case in point: Mike Modeller always believed that FAI fuel was 80% methanol, 20% castor oil since that is what is is defined to be. MM buys a jug of FAI fuel and a jug of low nitro cas/syn blend and with an additional dash of castor to maintain total oil at 20%, mixes up a batch of fuel that he feels is a real nice package for the job at hand, namely running some European racing engines of which he is particularly fond. So MM proceeds to run one of his engines 4-5 times, and everything seems okay. Later, for some reason the issue of FAI fuel is bugging that same modeller because of no more than the color of the jug, and he looks up the manufacturer's website to find out that they blend 83% methanol and 17% synthetic oil and call it FAI fuel. Boy is MM pissed! Luckily, the fuel MM made was sufficiently endowed with lubrication to do a decent job, but the point is that the reknowned engine manufacturer and many afficianados of said brand stress the value of significant percentages of castor oil for longetivity in the high-strung environment in which they thrive, and MM thought he was being diligent but was foiled by misleading product names. If I was MM (which I am) I would be pissed at the late discovery.

MJD