RCU Forums - View Single Post - Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

The way glow drivers work that operate off a high voltage (or how I would expect them to work) is that they pulse the glow plug on and off very rapidly. Similar to a switching regulator but a glow plug doesn't need a constant voltage like a piece of electronics. Regulators are more expensive than a simple pulsing circuit. This is similar to how a switching regulator works. It pulse charges a capacitor to the right voltage very fast. For example I am working on a turbine ECU. To drive the turbine glow plug I pulse it from the 3-cell lipo 1% of the time 10,000 times per second. I could change the glow drivers to operate on any voltage. Would probably make them $70-75 per pair rather than $50 per pair.

The advantage of a switching regulator over a linear regulator is that they can be >90% efficient compared with about Vo/Vi % effiecency for a linear regulator. They can be noisy and older designs are slow. New ones are amazing. I attached a picture of a prototype regulator I am building. It is about 1.5" square and can put out 15Amps continous with no heatsink required. Also has a safety switch (fails-on).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74632.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1309395