RCU Forums - View Single Post - CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Back in the old days (when I began flying, 1968 or so) we used the formula that 16 oz per 100 sq in was trainer territory. Then every one began using sq ft, which is 23 oz per sq ft using the same numbers. 24 oz per sq ft is a very lightly loaded aircraft. Many large scale models exceed 45 oz per sq ft these days "but the larger a model is the heavier the wing loading it will tolerate. Something about reynolds numbers and the cube relationship. I'm a retired mechanic, not an aeronautical engineer, but I know from flying over these many years what seems to be acceptable. Abu a model the size of the one you're building would have a very acceptable wing loading if it approached 30 oz per ft. or even 32. I dont think weight is going to be an issue with the CI but the bottom line is and will always be that lighter models fly better. To worry about warping on a completed and fully framed model is needless, "but" if it's a concern that 1/64 may not be as "bulletproof" as 1/32 then use the 1/32 and dont agonize over the weight.
Doc