RCU Forums - View Single Post - CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

ORIGINAL: Nieuport nut
Remember too, that biplanes can handle less wingloading for a similar handling to a monoplane - 24 oz./sq.ft is great on a sport plane, less so on a scale bipe.
That's why Gianfrancisco's calculations only use 80% of the total wing area to calculate wing loading.

Maybe you should build another Nieuport and try to get the weight down. I have a 1/6 N.11 at 3.5 lb, (14 oz./sq/ft) and a 1/5 N.12 at 8.75lb. (17 oz./sq.ft), both of which take off easily - apply power and the tail is up and the rudder is effective before much swing can develop.
That's pretty impressive and good to hear. My now demised Legionnaire was around 3.5 kilos. Anyway, I don't think I'll be building another Nieuport anytime soon. Comically, considering the time I spend on it, I don't even like Nieuports that much. I just figured it would be an easy model to try scratch-building (which is what got be going on building in Japan).

Anyway, back to the CI. Did some testing of various oil-based varnishes today and the "rose" gives the most personally pleasing hue (on the left in the photo). But I might also try a custom mix of the Rose and the darker Mahogany (which by itself has an unpleasant purplish hue). My plan is that I'll mask off the surfaces that will later be glued and then give the rest a couple of foundation coats of the varnish. This won't completely eliminate the problem of "white spots" but will minimize it. Also the varnish can be put on thicker on the light glue to cover this up later.

Anyway, that's the plan. We'll see what happens. At this point, I just want to get on with it.

PS. One other small thing was to ad lock-nuts (is that the right word for those little dealies with spikes?) to the bottom of the engine mounting beams. Once this area in enclosed there'd be no way of getting at ordinary nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72722.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1309960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65970.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1309961