RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why Clip the Wing???
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why Clip the Wing???

The Goldberg Cub floats BEAUTIFULLY with the clipped wing.

Ok, I was hoping to avoid going into this long dissertation on Cub wings, but I see it's time to repeat it.

Here is the story of the Airplane whose wing was too big....

Back in the 1920's they designed the Piper Cub. The idea behind this plane was that its designers envisioned that everyone in the country would someday own one, fly it to work, the grocery store, etc.

To make it affordable, they put a very small, inexpensive engine in it. In order for this tiny engine to get an airplane off the ground, they had to make the wing BIGGER THAN IT WOULD NORMALLY BE. So now, this little engine could get this airplane off the ground.

The problem was, it was under powered and that HUGE wing created a lot of adverse yaw.

By the 1930's, the dream of everyone owning one went away when they realized that very few people had runways in their backyard (Not to mention at their grocery stores), but a lot of pilots had them - and they were due for periodic overhauls. Some of these pilots realized that if they put a REAL engine on it, they could "Clip" the wing down to a NORMAL size and relieve some of the adverse yaw and other undesireable effects of that "Wing that is too big".

Unfortunately, now people think that Clipping the wing from the original design is making a radical modification to a good plane. In reality, the original wing was intentionally designed to be TOO BIG and the clipped wing is the correct size.

Now granted, some people have radically clipped wings on various aircraft, but the clipped version of the Goldberg Cub wing is the ideal size for that airplane.

Try it, you'll like it!