View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Engine FAQ

Hi Lawrence,

I'm pleased to help.

Winter flying can be a lot of fun on skis. Attached is my ski design. For the winter, the crucial part is making sure that your glow plug glows strongly, bright yellow. A dull orange will give you problems. This happens if you use on of those glow drivers that are attached to a single battery. The usual 1.25 volts goes down to 1 volt in the cold. Best is a power panel in which you can crank up the voltage to get a bright yellow glow. We had a fellow here, who brought a small, propane torch to heat up the cylinder for easy starts. You need to be very careful, it's hard to see the flame in bright daylight and you don't want to burn your plane or any plastic parts on the engine.

Cold and denser air contains more oxygen so you need to open up the needle valve. The idle setting usually get re-set automatically. A plus with cold and denser air is that you get more lift. In theory you do and in fact, most times you can feel the better lift. And more thrust from your propeller for that matter.

I love winter flying as you can see here. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ter+minisport#

Note the light, tight fitting, cotton gloves for warmth and for preserving feel of the transmitter sticks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95834.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	1312174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74054.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	1312175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99136.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	410.2 KB