RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

I''m very interesting in what you come up with matt.

I've been flying a MVVS 160 ifs for some time (until I broke a wing bolt and pile drove it through a tree). I had made comments that a high capacity rear exhaust rear induction enigne would be more effective as a pattern powerplant and it seems Todd's done almost just that.

I have to ask though, is it reed or rotor induction?

Very interesting. Subscribed.
It's reed induction just like the old Cox engines. Reed induction has an upper rpm limit, no question about that. Beyond a certain rpm, reeds float. The material Todd uses has been carefully researched and is well engineered to allow excellent response to at least 14K rpm. Todd runs the engine on a racing model which turns around that in the air.

In pattern we wouldn't run anywhere near that kind of rpm. We don't want anything higher than about 8500 or so since it gets noisy quickly.

For all pattern people interested in this engine, please send an email to Todd Syssa. If he gets encouraged enough he will likely start working on a pattern version. He knows what we want....a little longer stroke and about 20 degrees lower exhaust duration. Both are straight forward but not trivial to actually do. The current 180 was in prototype state for about 2 years before he got the characteristics this engine displays. After all, he is in business to make money, not just to satisfy his curiosity. The more we show interest, the more he would consider it. And he gets the fact that our market is a fraction of the sport market

BTW, I was impressed with the engine's starting....it seemed like he didn't flip the prop as much as he led it to a bump, then gently carried the prop through compression with a rubber stick; no kickback and no bite and it was fairly cold the day we were there.

MattK