RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System
Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: Meyer1811 Questions: With my Spektrum DX7, my battery compartment gets quite warm after an overnight charge and the batteries don't seem to be holding a charge like they used to. With the A9, the battery compartment doesn't seem to get warm which I assume is a good thing. FYI: I have never seen the charge light come on, but a meter shows voltage and the batteries charge.
Now the questions:
1.) Will the NiMH cells loose charge if not installed in the transmitter?
2.) Will it hurt the batteries to leave the charger plugged in:
3.) If the charger is left plugged in, will it provide a trickle charge to maintain a full charge in the batteries?
Thanks, John
1. NiMH loose charge at a higher rate than any other type of battery.
Generally, the higher the amp hour rating, the faster the loss but as the Nicads of today are very different to the original, NiMH continue to improve.
2. Yes, NiMH can not tolerate being overcharged, refer attached. This is why the CG-S42 / CG-S42k / CG-S45 as applicable supplied with TX charges at less than 1c.
3. Do Not overcharge NiMH. Thesupplied charger's rate is slow enough to prevent damageunless left on formore than say 24 hours after which battery will degenerate.
4. Not mentioned very often is that NiMH evidence "Black Wire" and corrosion faster than NiCad, especially seen inEPModels where fast charging is frequent and batteries are put away ina low a state of charge aftera flying session - NiMH should be charged to at least 75% before storing and stored separately like Lipols in a dry container, preferably with a desicant pack..

refer also to sub section
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs." at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay73708.pdf (38.0 KB, 61 views)