RCU Forums - View Single Post - "3D or die!" they said...and I had to choose the latter option.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "3D or die!" they said...and I had to choose the latter option.

Sorry for the long delay on updates...

Holiday season of course, a little extra work sneaking in, and time spent on some indoor stuff has kinda kept me away from the Edge for a while.

There is a bit of news to share, however:

First, not going to be sending the 111 off to Jody as it turns out. Decided to go ahead and pull it apart myself (not like I haven't rebuilt a few hundred small engines in my day *heh*) and take a peak. Figured anything major enough to cause future problems would be fairly obvious to a "serious" look at things, without needing to completely dismantle the motor.

So, mufflers came off, inspected the the exhaust sides pistons through the exhaust ports. Plugs came out, they were inspected. Heads came off to look at the tops of the pistons. And finally, tossed a laser line on the center of the crankshaft, and spun it through several rotations. No, that's not a "perfect" way to measure things, but it ought to show any significant wobble or bend...and there was none.

Given that everything looked nice and clean and straight, there's no wobble, bumps, catches, or stickiness anywhere in the cycle, and the pistons appear to be as perfect as can be, I think I'll take my chances an just remount the motor. I figure the worst case is that I've missed some major problem (not sure how I could have, but always possible I suppose)...if that's the case, then it should show up early on in flight testing, when I'll be keeping things simple, so a dead stick won't threaten the aircraft too much.

Anywho, the even better news is that I heard from Tom that he's found me a brand new set of wings, at a very reasonable cost! I let him know this weekend to go ahead and send them my way, so hopefully they should be on the way in the next few days. Once they arrive and are stripped down, it'll be just about time to begin the recovering process.