RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sterner - DH 100 VAMPIRE buildingThread
Old 11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sterner - DH 100 VAMPIRE buildingThread

Hi to all who have had questions about the slow speed flight tendencies of the Vampire design.

In all honesty I have years of flying experiance with both the 1/5th scale I flew at Top Gun in 98 and 99 and then onto the 1/4 scale the past several years. It will take a "deep" stall to create the condition (assuming a properly laterally balanced wing) in which the wing tip will roll off. Depending on the design and wing loading, washout will only marginally delay this effect.

If the airframe is configured and flown as described in the flight set-up portion of the manual, it will insure full success with little worry.

The GA-23012 airfoil I have used is very close to scale and has very good low speed characteristics and years of flying the Vampire and my other designs has born this out.

While as good a flying airframe the Vampire is as designed, if it makes one more comfortable to incorporate Washout or CROW, by all means this will only serve to enhance its already very good low speed performance.

Best Regards to all.