RCU Forums - View Single Post - Soaking an engine in antifreeze in a crock
Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Soaking an engine in antifreeze in a crock

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

I have used the crock pot method on my own engines and those of many of our club members. It never fails to work well, high for about 12 hrs.rinse in warm water, blow out with air and let stand until dry. Assemble with ATV to prevent
dry parts from seizing or galling.

STAY AWAY FROM OVEN CLEANERS......................THEY MAKE ONE HELL OF A MESS. If you want a Black stained chunk of metal that looks worse than the stufft you are trying to remove than go for it!!!!!!! (NOT)
When Iwas sailing some years back, the oven cleaner was the "poor mans anodizing" for mast. You sprayed it on, painted it on, etc and wrapped the mast in plastic warp for a few days. You ended up with a nice dark grey mast. Not the black ones like th big guys had, but not dull aluminum either. It wasn't very thich and scuffed of easly, unlike the real anodized mast. One of our guys tried the oven cleaner on a O.S 40 and like you said, dull dark grey. Didn't hurt anything other than the color though. I put a new set of bearings and a new cam and lifters in it and it was fine other than the looks.

Don