RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comp ARF Lightning + 7xDS8911 servos = VERY HIGH BATTERY CONSUMPTION
Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF Lightning + 7xDS8911 servos = VERY HIGH BATTERY CONSUMPTION

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Tassos

No I use a std Powerbox. I have a H 9 meter and also the Graupner Amp Clamp. But I do it by ear and total battery consumption. I charge new models batteries before setting up the model, set it up which usually takes me not much more than 10min inc mixes etc...so about a flight time, plus any other testing on gear etc.
Before I test fly I charge the batteries again and always note mAh used..as during the life of the model this tells you so much. I have an expected consumption. So if I was doing your Lightning and I guessed 20min total on time I would expect on 5-600mAh use from each battery.

I then fly it and monitor battery use.

Dave
ORIGINAL: i3dm

Is the Gangar 9 any different than a regular watt meter, such as this one ?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10080

www.liorzahavi.com
my Jet gallery: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/g...1/?script=jets
Ok here's what I've done.....

It looked really strange to me how the Powerbox Royal has been measuring so large batteries consumptions.

I bought the item Lior is mentioning in his post (thank you Lior for the idea)

I connected it in series with one of the batteries to the PB as shown in the first picture.

Then I put my 14MZ to cycle all the servos on the ground without any load for 10mins or so. The results:

- PB displayed consumption of Battery 1 (2nd pic) : 1097mAh
- External power meter reading (3rd pic): 151mAh

This is 7 times less than the PB!!!

In addition last weekend I made 5 flights. After the flights I measured exactly the mAh charged in each battery. And guess what, each took around 1700mAh, which means an average of 340mAh per flight (under flight load).

Which means I can trust the $25 power meter I bought but I cannot trust the $650 PB Royal I bought to read for me the power consumption amongst other things it does.

I sent an email to PB and they said it may need calibration. This is one H$$L of calibration they need to do.....

I wonder if anyone else out there is having the same setup as I have and is seeing the same measurements as me. Is it just my PB?

Thanks alot everyone for your help.

Regards, Tassos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83595.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1326343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74992.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1326344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68795.jpg