RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing the airplane questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing the airplane questions.

ORIGINAL: Alex7403
1. As I understand you cover bottom wing then top wing, how do you deal with the seam on the LE?

2. If you need to use more than one piece of cloth per surface how do you do it seam wise?

3. epoxy doesn’t like to be applied on existing epoxy, so if you need to fiberglass the wing center with 4” heavy weave tape and fiberglass the whole wing with 0.75 cloth what comes first and how?

4. what paint do you use to paint on fiberglass that withstand glow fuel?

Hi Alex,

I will offer up my opinions regarding your questions. I'm sure others will provide you with more options.

1. Does not really matter one bit if you cover the top or bottom first. By the time you are done sanding and filling the weave of the fiberglass to a smooth surface you will not see any seams at all.

2. Again, it does not matter as the seams will dissapear during the finishing.

3. Never had any problems putting epoxy over epoxy. In a scenario such as you describe I would glass the joint first with the heavy cloth and then blend it into the surrounding structure with light weight spackle. Then glass over the entire structure with the 3/4 ounce cloth.

4. There are several options including Warbirds Colors, Klass Kote, Dope, Nelsons, and I'm sure others as well.

Best of luck with your Jug, they are great flyers.

Chad Veich