RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing the airplane questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing the airplane questions.

Alex, I use Envirotex Lite for the big areas and sometimes use Zap Finishing Resin. I'm a fan of the Envirotex Lite, but you need to let it cure for a few days, depending upon weather, for it to be easier to sand. It's ready to cut with sandpaper or fill over the initial lay down coat in 24 hours, so a person can really move along once they get going. I mix up a batch of the resin/hardener, and thin it one to one with denatured or wood alcohol (sometimes called Shellac thinner) for the lay down coat. The "fill coat" is thinned about half that. The only mixture that gets on the plane is mixed epoxy - not just the resin part. You will find that this a very light finish unless you put way too much on in the way of a fill coat. Some folks don't use a second coat of epoxy but just fill with primer, but honestly if you sand the fill coat just to the weave it's still very light. I have not squeegeed off the fill coat before but I'm going to try it on my next build. Four ounces to the foot? I'd guess that I can cover a giant scale plane with four ounces of epoxy, thinned as described above, maybe six ounces....
Sam