RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing the airplane questions.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing the airplane questions.

there is a couple of camps on the Laquer method both are quite serviceable one is to use brushing laquer from start to finish Deft is the brand of choice.

the second is to use the Deft as a sanding sealer on the bare wood, allow it to fully dry, and then a water based poly as the glassing resin,its the method I have been using and has worked well on the 3 planes I have used it on.

when using the Deft alone there is alot of smell, and really needs a area where ventilation is good, I also use a respirator when doing this phase of the wood sealing process.

as a side note, I have been using the Deft spray cans instead of the brush on material lately, it seems to seal the wood as well as the brush on does, and tends to lay down a nice even light coat on the surface, its also quicker so there is less exposure to the fumes as well.

the glassing can be done with any water based poly my material that I prefer is Varathane Diamond finish, satin sheen,it coats up fast, hardly any odor, and is supremely tough, I used it mainly for floor and furniture finishing, before trying it on models, the spit is several years old now and the paint and finish is as good as the day it was finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84293.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1329493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92522.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1329494