RCU Forums - View Single Post - What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would your ideal R/C workshop look like?

Okay, guys, time for a different thread. The subject matter of this thread is to share your ideas on what to incorporate into your ideal hobby workshop.

The reason why I'm starting this thread is because I've been drawing my ideal workshop on the backs of envelopes and on graph paper for years and now that I'm getting close to building my house, I'm wondering what other ideas are out there. (I don't want to miss out on a neat idea!) Come on, every one of you has fantasized about moving your workbench out of that spare bedroom and into a purpose-built room or building and I'm curious what designs you've come up with. This thread has the potential of assisting a lot of R/C-ers who, like me, are contemplating building a special R/C workshop.

Okay, here are some simple ground rules...

1. IT MUST BE REALISTIC. As far as I know, there are no Saudi Princes hanging out on RCU so the design must be affordable. Yes, I know, "affordable" is a subjective term. Just keep your ideas from being so far out in fantasyland that they won't be taken seriously.

2. The workshop room or building can be any size from a spare bedroom to half of a two-car garage, to a basement or second floor, to a purpose-built building in the back yard (permanent or portable.) If it is a separate building from the main house, don't forget to include a bathroom!

3. Any drawings should include enough detail to be able to explain what is what. Feel free to write something up to describe what you've drawn, the benefits of your particular design, etc.

4. This thread is NOT intended to give you an opportunity to show everybody your current workshop. We've already seen the pictures on the other threads. This thread is intended to give all of us ideas to consider incorporating into our own workshop designs because the home plans books don't often include R/C workshops. (Why is that???)

5. The best way to show us your idea of an ideal workshop is with a drawing. There are a lot of you who are either employed as draftsmen or are taking drafting in school so posting your ideas to this thread should be easy and fun for you. For the rest of us who can't draw a straight line with TWO rulers, a scanned-in freehand sketch will be okay. Again, the purpose of this thread is to share ideas.

This is not a contest so there won't be any Tower or Horizon gift certificates for any winners. The only reward is that there is a possibility that some of us may incorporate YOUR ideas into our own future workshops!

I don't have a drawing of my own ready to post at this moment but will do so in the next day or so.

Come on, guys. This thread has a lot of "fun" potential so let's see what that dream workshop in your head looks like!

Harvey