RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airfoil for a MiG 15
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Hazykid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airfoil for a MiG 15

Hi Soarrich, BMatthews and Eddyc.

Thanks so much for your input - I have so much more to go on now.

Eddyc - I have the S8038 in the Profili2 database, so it's a definite option for me.
BMatthews - I've been looking at the FoilSim program and I'm really impressed. What is clear to me is that I need to think about this a little more carefully than I had previously thought. You are right that very small angles of attack are needed. It is indeed educational and eye opening - I only wish I had known about it sooner. Many thanks for the link.
Soarrich - thanks for the BVM link. I did know about Bob Violett but hadn't thought about asking them directly for airfoil info. I'll let you know how I get on.

Another question has occured to me whilst I've been thinking about this. What about tail surfaces? Do I stick with the same airfoil for the tailplane? How critical is the fin thickness?

I'm trying to juggle this design with completion of a 1/5 scale Sukhoi 26 and at the moment both are coming second to work commitments. The weekends are very short, alas. I hope I'm not taking on too much for a first time design/scratch build. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to crunch some numbers and come up with a decision. Your excellent advice has really narrowed down the field for me and I am ever so grateful. It's the support of guys like you that make this forum so good.

All the best!

Richard.