RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2a Biplane
Thread: 1/2a Biplane
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1/2a Biplane

At first I thought they shortened the wings in the drawing for space, but when checking the scale indicator against the chord on the side view of the fuselage, then using that to calculate the span and scale it to 18" without the wing tips, you get a chord of 6". I've never seen a Hot Canary with wings that short.

The engine is a pre-Revlite Norvel AME .061 with an APC 5.7X3 prop.

To be perfectly honest that wasn't my best design. The aspect ratio of the wings, thick airfoil and having 2 of them made for a very draggy plane.

I prefer ailerons on both wings because you can run into a situation where one wing is stalled and the other is still flying, especially if you use different incidences on each wing. For example, it's not uncommon to put the bottom wing at a few degrees relative to the top wing - if you get slow or at high AOA the bottom wing can stall while the top wing has not, giving you no aileron control. In the case of the Hot Canary, it's actually preferable to have the bottom wing stall first because, as it is the forward wing, the CG would shift forward, dropping the nose and building up airspeed. Of course things like stagger and using different airfoils on each wing change the stall characteristics of each so I just stick to zero incidence for both wings and ailerons on both. Also, I believe that rolls are more axial when your control surfaces are not so far offset from the centre line of the plane.