RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you excited about the MERGER???
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you excited about the MERGER???

I think it's a necessary step in order to make the site profitable. It's also the only way to insure the continuation of services at the level we expect. Without user fees, the site becomes 100% dependent on advertiser revenues, which can be really sticky when a company or product is getting bashed in the forum.

Those of us who were around in RCOnline's heyday remember the turmoil created when a site drains the owners resources. Edward (RCO site owner) proposed a number of ideas to attempt to cover his costs. As a result, several free sites sprang up - most of which have died away.

This merger will combine the resources of two major sites. An attempt by either to institute fees by themselves would have probably resulted in a mass exodus to the other. Now, that's not an issue.

Possible outcomes:
1) Users, ready for a stable environment, will embrace this enhanced site and gladly pay their small share. The site will grow, the owners will become dependent on the site for their livelihood, and we'll have a first-class operation, at least until/unless Ebay comes along and buys them out.
2) Users, being frugal to the point of cheapskates, will abandon the for-fee sections and complain about it in the for-free ones.
3) Someone who wishes to makes their hobby a website for others to talk about their hobby will fund another completely free site.

My prediction? ALL OF THE ABOVE. Time will tell. Will a used 40SF sell for enough more on Ebay to justify the double fees? Probably- idiots abound on Ebay. Here, the buyers will probably be better informed and won't pay retail or more for used stuff. Some users won't pay a penny to sell as long as they can post it somewhere for free. I expect views to increase at free sites that haven't been able to compete with RCU recently. And yes, someone will either upgrade an existing free site or add a new one to give away services RCU will be selling. All the successful sites - RCU included - start off free. Then they grow, and get expensive to maintain service on. Bandwidth, server and tech time all grow with the success of a site, and at some point the site has to feed itself.

Personally, unless I have a VERY rare item - like a Super Duelist 60 or a Hooty Toad Stomper - it's going to Ebay, where idiots abound and will pay top dollar for stuff I often give away to get people going in the hobby. Rare stuff will go here, as diamonds are harder to see among the rocks over there, and even if they sell for less here at least I think the buyer will be knowledgeable enough to appreciate what they're getting. Now where did I put that HTS120.......