RCU Forums - View Single Post - great planes VFO
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Launch Pad McQuack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: great planes VFO

Mainly an indoor flyer but can be flown outdoors on calm no wind days.

I had one of those days here today and put up a test flight at a local park. It was a relatively short flight, maybe 3-4 min total. Popped it up in a hover for a couple min to trim it out and then landed. Took back off and moved in to some forward flight to check my trims there and all was well. Made a couple laps and found I needed to adjust the rudder mix for trim. With that decided I better practice my transition back to hover anyway. It gains some altitude in transition. However with a bit of practice that should be able to be cut down. I got it back down into a hover and decided to land again. Unfortunately I got it a bit sideways on the landing and broke one of the wing tips. So that was the end of flying for the day. What I did learn from this is make sure you are flying from a hard surface. I was flying from grass and when it got sideways the grass was long enough to hold the tip and break it. It is now fixed and ready to go again. If you have one and are going to test fly indoors make sure you have a large area if you intend to get into forward flight. Only thing I can tell you from this flight is the VFO is very “groovy” It goes where you point it. It is actually a lot easier to use the rudder for turning. If you are used to flying with rudder this will be easy for you. If you don’t normally fly with rudder once you are done steering on the ground. Well then this will teach you quite a bit on flying coordinated. I will report more after our indoor meet on Friday.