RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Scale Twins F7F Tigercat
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Scale Twins F7F Tigercat

KP, please also feel free to contribute to the thread and share pictures and your experiences. My interpretation of what you wrote is that you had a mishap with the finished model. Is that correct?

Darrell, no offence was intended when I said you were lurking. I understand your motives for checking out these projects. When I get closer to an all up weight, I'll have a better feel for whether the Robarts will hold up. Several of these Giant Scale Twin models have been fitted with the Robarts, including Jim's ~80 lb twin-radial version pictured on his website, so they may be just fine in the end (but I of course will contact you should I not feel comfortable with these gear).

Anyway, back to the task at hand.

After the blocks and edges were epoxied into place, the wood was rough sanded. Easy work with part in the shucks, some 80 grit paper on a sanding bar and some tape to protect the foam.

Next the stab was placed back into the top and bottom shucks, and taped up so the assembly would not shift about when the part was passed through the bandsaw. Before cutting, both the shucks, stab and elevators were all labeled top, bottom left and right so that when it comes time to sheet, all the parts find their shuck-mates without guesswork.

The elevator was cut away from the stab, and then another pass was made to remove an additonal 1/2 inch from the elevator side. Measurements come from the measured drawings in the back of the provided instruction manual. The 1/2 of removed material will be filled with 1/4 balsa attached to both the new stab trailing edge and the new elevator leading edge.

After the new edges are added, making sure the stab and elevator are kept absolutely straight, the new wood will be rough sanded and then the parts will be ready for sheeting. Should not be too much trouble to get it all done today.

Then it's onto the main wing cores.

Back soon with more updates.

Noah

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42473.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1338140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17051.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1338141   Click image for larger version