RCU Forums - View Single Post - CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 AM
cgrcjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread

Applying the bumper to the rear wing former.

-For some reason i had a problem with the bumper lining up with the mounting plate former incorrectly. It was to far forward at the point where there was not much former to screw into on the mounting plate. In other words the cutout in the center of this went back to far. I think i had changed the file somewhere along the line to try and save weight. I have fixed the cut file today and brought this opening further forward. You may want to check and see if these line up properly. The easy fix is to cut back the top of the wing skin a little more than a 1/4" or until the bumper is able to sit fully on the mounting plate former to where there is some ply to screw into.

-I used a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of basswood as the bumper and cut it down to fit in the opening. The bumper is just there to fill in the space between the mounting plate former and the former it will be glued to in the wing so when you tighten down the 2 screws they have some backing behind them. When all is said and done you will want this bumper to hit against the mounting plate former when the wing is fit into the saddle. The 1/2" x 1/2" basswood is a little shy of filling the space. When i glued this piece in with 5 minute epoxy i did not push down on it with alot of force. I let it ride on top of the glue to give it a little extra height and then applied a little glue around it. It was only shy about a 1/32". You can then go back and make sure the wing is fitting against the saddle. If it is sitting away from the saddle a bit like mine because of the bumper, you can take a sanding block and bevel down the back edge of the bumper until the wing fits against the saddle. The reason why i beveled the back of the bumper is because it does not sit against the mounting plate flat but at a slight angle.

chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32210.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1339531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50595.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1339532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75910.jpg
Views:	33