RCU Forums - View Single Post - New/Revised AMA Safety Code item:
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New/Revised AMA Safety Code item:

ORIGINAL: crash99

Hossfly,

Please relax and calm down. I hate to see anyong get their blood pressure so high. I only read the first page. I hate to bring this up but why was this rule ever put in place with 8 hours? Why not 12 hours? Is the reason to do with reaction time a perosn flying is reduced?
C-99, no need to sweat my blood pressure reference the OP topic. It holds well below the requirements for a 20 year old jet-fighter pilot, and I soon will turn 74.
If anything would stir it up is that this thread so readily illustrates the difficulty so many individuals have in comprehending a main subject. I stated very specifically that only one item is of concern. That concern is that club officers, contest directors, safety officers, and all club members no longer have a firm rule with which to make a determination reference the alcohol use of model fliers at/on any given time period.

Personally I don't give a tinker's dam about the time period itself. However the 8 hour rule - very probably stemmed from the FAA 8 hour rule in 1:1 scale operation - did present a firm rule. "Under the influence" provides absolutely NOTHING for the model airplane environment.
In that respect, I wonder why individuals in a rule making body would make such a change. In 1968, when I first started working for UAL, the company pilot rule was 24 hours minimum between bottle and throttle. In 1985 some "Management Pilots " were caught having a PARTY within about half that time before flying back to USA from Japan. Well, immediately UAL dropped the limit to 12 hours. Had it been a bunch of regular LINE PILOTS, we all would have been fired. [:@]

//snip//
I even will go and say this issue might not have been brought up and could be in poor taste. Is this an issue with the rule or is this an issue with people loosing more authority in controlling people.
Crash99
Are your questions just to stir some pot, or simply because you failed to read/comprehend the first post?