RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
keredg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Hi All i'm new on here, i don't use RC any more but did at one time. Due to recomendations of a member here i bought the Accucell-6 for maintaining my nicd and nimh batteries that i use in my metal detectors, while waiting for it to arrive from hong kong i modified a 420w big fan ATX power supply using this thread as a guide and its working fine. I only had a 30w 22ohm aliminium shod resistor handy so i used that on the 5v rail inside and it gives me 12.06v with no load and it drops to 11.96vwith the Accucell-6 on a 2amp charge(i don't usually charge this high). I also put a 5v as well as the 12v power takeoff on the outside using banana jacks.  If i put a car bulb on the 5v rail(in the bananas) the output goes up to 12.48v on the same 2amp charge, this will do for me and i would like to thank all that have posted in this thread(and others) as it has been a great help to getting this up and running. At a future date i will change the 22ohm resistor for something bigger, i think i have a 50w 2.2ohm with aluminium heat sink  lying around somewhere so i might give it a try if i can find it. Do you think it might be too much? the +5v is rated at 20amps and the 12v 16amps

jtnktz
if the 12v output rail is only giving 12.14 when not under load it will probably drop when charging to just under the 12v like mine did, this should still charge as long as the charger will accept the lower input

Merry christmas and happy new year to all and thanks for he great info on the site