RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tiered Insurance Poll
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 03:44 AM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiered Insurance Poll

Jim-
You may well be right. I don't have enough practical experience to stand firm on this with a whole lot of confidence that it will work easily in all possible situations. I am experienced with a corollary situation at a club that flies in a very quiet neighborhood, and conformance with sound level standards is essential to our retention of the field. Every model is checked for conformance with our standard of 91 dBA at 3 meters, and rechecked if a configuration change is made (i.e., a different prop or fuel). It may be flown only if in a configuration that has been logged and checked off by a club member other than the owner of the model. It's worked well for the dozen or so years we have had this field, and I hear few complaints that it is an undue burden on club members. I don't see any real difference between this burden of regulation by club members and accommodating the relatively few models in any given club flying venue that might fall into a special rate category. I guess it would depend to a degree on the club members' understanding and acceptance of the rationale that underlies the need for such special treatment. Also a factor in our situation with noise abatement is that it is in every club member's interest to ensure compliance, and dealing with special rate categories probably wouldn't be. That may be the fly in the ointment.

Abel