RCU Forums - View Single Post - 21" hull restoration, help needed!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Kwaka_Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" hull restoration, help needed!

So all this interest in my previous hobbies, plus wanting to start up a small hobby venture in reselling some good hobby gear in my area, I decided to find my old boats and cars that haven't been sold.

Unfortunately, i have sold 99% of my previous vehicles and stuff, but I do still have at least 1 decent thing left. A full balsa hull, not sure if it was a kit, factory built or scratchbuilt but we received it from a family friend in 1981, through the decades it has received alot of punishment by me as a child, as well as the damage of bad storage for that time and suffering from 3 poor paint jobs given by me when I was 8 or 9.

I dug it up again today, when the boat was in its prime, it sort of resembled an old steam cruiser, quite attractive in a simplistic way, powered by an unknown motor about 540 size, probably salvaged from something and 2-4 C-size batteries, speed was scale, no ESC or MSC, just a flick switch for go and stop (inside the boat mind you). Though the rudder was controlled by a servo.

I want to give it a new life and rebuild it as a keepsake for times in my life that were more simple. It doesn't have to be perfect but I'd like it to look decent.

Damage: lots of battle scars on the hull, chips, bits missing on edges, damage inside to some of the balsa, as well as a REALLY large amount of wood putty that was placed over a dent when I was 7... (sigh, kids what can you do, i know, hide paint and putty from them)

Repairs so far; I have sanded the hull down a slight amount, only taking it past a few layers of paint, down near the balsa. At this time I used what i know from the automotive world, a guide coat of paint that I can use to make the body level and smooth. Instead of using paint, I thinned down some wood putty to a milk/yoghurt consistancy, which i have started to paint onto the body. it provides a GREAT smooth surface that also allows me to see all the defects that need to be repaired.

I have to give it another few coats of the putty mix. big question, what type of ship would take a hull that looks like this? my father thinks and older battle cruiser, but i really only think an old steam cruising boat would be suitable. whats your opinion? regards, chris.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73448.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1346191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29354.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1346192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75809.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.9 KB