RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who all flew today? 01/01/10
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who all flew today? 01/01/10

Posted this on another thread yesterday and added here today...

I flew a couple of small electric planes today at our club field in Sidney, Maine. We are in the beginning stages of a big snow storm so this was my only chance. Armed with a shovel to dig out a parking spot, layered clothing and a hooded parka, fingerless knit gloves with palm grip surface from LL Bean hunting supplies and a transmitter mitt I headed to the KVMA field. It was 27 degrees with a North wind blowing 5 or 6 knots gusting to 10 or 15 knots down the runway and light snow falling. The access road was plowed, but the parking lot was not (hence the shovel). Both planes were assembled and the batteries charged before I left so all I had to do was install the battery and walk through the snow to the flightline with my transmiiter in the mitt. It was fun, although a little too windy at times, with my Hobby-Lobby Sunday on Du-Bro mini skis (with a brand new Spektrum radio system) and E-Flite Taylorcraft on foam floats. The Sunday flew great and lifts off very quickly so the skis worked great in the slightly sticky fresh snow cover. The only problem I had was the dim light from the overcast and the all white airplane! Luckily the black spinner and black skis stood out and I kept it in close. So, color, or more important contrasting colors are important too. I had my hands full with the Taylorcraft though as my battery slid back on take-off making it tail heavy and a real bear to handle in the swirling gusty wind. I did manage to get it back on the ground and repositioned the battery and the next flight was much more manageable.

Hope you all had good First day flights.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29950.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1347392