RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Hello!

My two Yellow and Black 88" Yaks arrived today! I could not believe how large the boxes are! The cowl and fuselage absolutely dwarfs my 74". I did not realize that the canopy on the 88" was secured by bolts? That will make battery changes a bit more of a task... My 74" has a nifty latch on top, maybe this was not strong enough to hold the HUGE canopy on my 88's? The finish is beautiful..I am really looking forward to getting this one together but I think that work is going to have to be front row and center for a few more weeks at least. I should be able to put a little time to the build during some evenings though.

Question: I read somewhere back in this, or maybe it was on the 110" thread that the supplied hinges are Robart copies and that the real Robarts have better hinge pins..is this true and if so should I order the Robart hinges? Regardless of which ones I use, I plan to trim them to length so that there is a lot of the hinge sticking through the wood. I did this on my 74" Yaks and while the little bits of plastic seem small, they add up to a bit of weight when added all together.

I really like the carbon ring inside the cowl..a great place to have some extra reinforcement! I expected the fuselage to be heavier than it actually is. The construction seems to be more refined than on the 74". The wing tube is unbelieveable... I am betting that no one has ever broken one of those in the air! Am I right?

Thanks for all of the help from everyone in getting me to this point...hopefully I will be flying this bird by mid Feb. when work eases up.

James